The Veterinary Emergency Clinic and Referral Centre offers emergency and critical care services 24/7/365.
Primary elements of emergency care are the stabilization, diagnosis and monitoring of the patient therefore various life-supportive and other essential treatments may be administered, including:
- Blood testing
- Blood product transfusion
- Blood pressure, blood gas and cardiac status monitoring
- IV Fluids
- Oxygen therapy and support
- Placement of feeding tubes, chest tubes, trach tubes and jugular catheters
- Medications/pain relief
- ECG monitoring
Critical care is provided to all animals that remain in critical condition after receiving emergency or specialty care, through 24-hour and intensive patient monitoring in the VEC’s ICU (Intensive Care Unit).
Area clinics are able to refer to the VEC at any time, day or night, for help with a wide variety of cases requiring ongoing treatment or monitoring, including:
- Trauma cases
- Status epilepticus cases with uncontrolled seizures
- Toxicities including ethylene glycol (we stock 4 methyl pyrazol)
- Insulin shock and diabetic ketoacidosis
- Severe pulmonary edema requiring nasal oxygen and/or vasopressin
- Acute renal failures and cases of anuria requiring dopamine drips
- Anemia of various causes
- Dystocias and/or C-sections
- Post-op complications
- Cardiac cases requiring monitoring
- Cases that would benefit from fluoroscopy
- Foreign body surgeries
Upon arrival at the VEC your pet will be thoroughly examined and evaluated by our clinical staff, the veterinarian will then provide you with information regarding treatment recommendations and the estimated costs associated with your pets needs. A deposit will be required.
Open and thorough communication with your pet’s regular veterinarian is essential for the provision of ongoing, continual care. The VEC will forward all necessary information to your vet in order to facilitate this care and to ensure that your pet’s medical record is complete.
Our emergency veterinarians and staff, coupled with a state-of-the-art facility and internal access to mulitple board-certified specialists, enables the VEC to provide care for even the most serious cases, providing service when your regular vet cannot – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.